What is a MTP?
MTP stands for Medical Termination of Pregnancy
Is it legal in India?
Yes, it is legal upto the 20th week of pregnancy or the following indications. The Medical Termination of Pregnancy Act was passed in 1971. The Act was intended to grant women freedom from unwanted pregnancies.
According to the Act, abortion may be permitted only in certain cases:
- Where the length of the pregnancy does not exceed twelve weeks or
- Where the length of the pregnancy exceeds twelve weeks but does not exceed twenty weeks, if not less than two registered medical practitioners are, of opinion, formed in good faith, that, -
- the continued pregnancy would pose a risk of injury to the woman’s physical or mental health; or
- There exists a substantial risk that the foetus would suffer from a severe physical or mental abnormality; or
- the pregnancy resulted from rape or incest; or
- the continued pregnancy would significantly affect the social or economic circumstances of the woman; or
- After the 20th week of the gestation period if a medical practitioner, after consultation with another medical practitioner or a registered midwife who has completed the prescribed training course, is of the opinion that the continued pregnancy—
- would endanger the woman’s life;
- Would result in a severe malformation of the foetus; or
- Would pose a risk of injury to the foetus.
As long as the above conditions are fulfilled, a doctor can terminate a pregnancy
Whose consent is required?
A pregnancy can be terminated only with the informed consent of the pregnant woman; no other person’s consent needs to be obtained.
Where can a MTP be performed?
The law has also made declarations about the place where a pregnancy may be terminated. These are a hospital established or maintained by the government and any place temporarily approved for the purpose by the government. Rashmi Nursing home has the required government recognition to carry out these procedures.
How is a MTP performed?
A first trimester MTP [upto 12 weeks pregnancy] will be done under general anaesthesia and is not painful. After anesthesia is administered the cervix is dilated gently and a ‘suction evacuation’ is done. It is really quite a safe procedure.
A 2nd trimester MTP [12-20 weeks pregnancy] is done by a variety of procedures and you may please talk to your doctor regarding the options available.
Can a MTP be done without surgery?
Yes, tablets are available for termination of pregnancy. They have their own advantages as well as disadvantages. Your doctor will tell you more about this.
Does it require admission?
Yes for about 4-5 hours. This is usually called day care surgery as it does not require an over night stay at the hospital.
How long will I bleed after a MTP?
You will have bleeding for between 3-7days following a MTP